What’s In My Dry Bag?
by Mary K. Benney
Paddle boarding, kayaking, wind surfing, wherever the stoke takes you – go there safely and always prepared. A great dry bag is essential and especially if you’re the leader of the pack and other lives are in your hands. Once properly trained and with the right certification in hand, it’s time to load up a dry bag with a few things you shouldn’t leave land without.
Links to some of our favorite products are included below the description – feel free to shop as you go! Being prepared for all situations will allow you to relax and really enjoy your time on the water.
- First aid kit (this one is a day camper / hiking kit from a sports store and is the ideal size for a dry bag, packed with water resistant band aids, gauze, rubber gloves, and a few other girly items such as hair ties and feminine products.)
- Tow rope (I actually carry two just in case! One rope is really thick and extra long and the other, which is the one pictured here, is really just in case one of the anchor lines snaps)
- Floating flashlight (emergency flares would work here too but something that can be seen from afar in case the group gets stuck out past sunset or needs to seek shelter from a storm in a dark place/secluded beach or wooded area)
- Extra whistles (make sure everyone has a whistle on their life jacket!)
- Sunscreen (I keep Raw Elements face stick with me at all times should I need extra sun protection or a paddle happy yogi forgets to lather up)
- Swiss knife with screw driver and scissors contained within (and tweezers!) attached to a key ring with an extra fin key
- Durable waterproof camera or GoPro (this one needs no extra explanation! If it’s not captured on the camera it didn’t happen!)
- Watch or cell phone in a waterproof case / Lifeproof / Otterbox so you always know what time it is
Other things to think about: bug spray and ginger candy because it’s the east coast and muggy on summer nights and occasionally there is a newbie just finding their sea legs who gets queasy.
It’s never in the way when I’m teaching and has a long strap so I can carry it messenger bag style to/from class. And it’s pink! These bags come in all sorts of sizes and can be easily found on Amazon: